Monday, December 26, 2011

Dec. 26, 2011

Dear everyone,

It was wonderful to get to talk to all of the family yesterday. I'm super
excited to see you next week. Can you believe that? 18 months is up. Just like
that. Weird.

So for those of you not on the phone call, I'll give you a brief update of
the week. Stormy, our 15 year old investigator who was supposed to be baptized
on Saturday, spent most of this last week with her Grandma. While she was
there, the grandma, and uncles and aunts did a pretty good job of persuading her
not to get baptized, so she called us on Tuesday and told us that she wasn't
comfortable, and that she didn't really want to meet with us anymore. It was
really frustrating. I was pretty upset for a while. The agency of some people
really drives me crazy! Some day it'll come around to them. And I know that
Stormy will eventually get baptized. The other news we have is good. Our other
investigator, Brother Hamner, the one with the language issue, (I hope I told
you about that...) told us this last week that, after 40 years of investigating
the church, he's willing to be baptized. He won't set a date, but he asked us
to meet with him every day. he seems to be in a rush. Which I'm hoping means
that he's secretly planning on getting baptized on Saturday. that would be
pretty cool. If not, he'll be baptized soon after he I leave. He's progressing
soooo fast. It's amazing.

That pretty much sums it up for the news this week. This is my last real
P-day, so this is it, I guess.

The last 18 months have been amazing. And wonderful. And hard. And
incredible. And life changing. There's no way to really describe what I'm
feeling about this finally being over. I've learned so much about the
importance of the gospel, and the plan of salvation, and the Savior's role in
that Plan. I especially have an understanding of the Savior's role in my life.
I understand the Atonement as it applies to me. Not just as it applies to my
sins, but also as it applies to my life: the joy and sorrow as well as the sins
and forgiveness. It's something I don't think I could have learned as well or
as fast if I hadn't done this. My mission was a chance for me to share the
gospel, yes. But also a chance for me to know my savior in a way I never could
have if I hadn't come. And I know that most people go on their missions when
they're younger. But if I'd gone when I was 21, I wouldn't have been ready for
this. I have no regrets about why I'm here, when I came, or what I've done
here. I've worked hard. Taught hard. Cried hard. Prayed hard. And I've
learned who I am. I know that I still have much to learn. And a lot to
experience. Lots of good stuff and lots of hard stuff still. But, because of
my experiences on my mission, I know that I can make it through anything,
because I already have, and the Savior will be there with me through all of it,
because He already has.

I KNOW the gospel is true.

~Sister Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment