Thursday, December 2, 2010

Nov. 15, 2010

Hello everyone!!!

Can you believe that I've been gone 5 months tomorrow? Not me. I feel both like I've been here forever and that I just got here. It's definately hard to explain how that happens. I was talking to a member of the ward here last night, and she couldn't believe that I'd only been here 5 months. She said that it felt like I'd always been in the ward. I joked with her that I remembered when her kids were born and when they graduated from high school. But seriously, it almost feels like that!

It's been a crazy busy week. We had two baptisms, taught 15 lessons to actual investigators (this doesn't count all the dinner appointments, less actives, and tracting lessons that we taught) and picked up our new companion. Her name is Sister Christensen... maybe I'll start there. :)

On Tuesday we met Sis. Christensen at the mission office. She was late because the plane was delayed... I guess it's snowing in Utah... Here's where I brag a bit and say that it's still in the 70s most days around here. lol. Anyway. Sis. Christensen is really cool. She's happy and excited to be here and really motivated to learn as much as she can as fast as she can. She's doing great. We get along great too. Needless to say that I'm very relieved that Sis. Christensen is is a hard worker. It means we won't have to overcome anything other than a learning curve. It's definately been an adjustment, though, with three sisters instead of two. Everything takes longer (like shopping, and cooking, and getting ready to leave the apartment) but otherwise, I think we're making the adjustment pretty well. :)

Sis. Christensen's first full day was a little intense, and I feel kind of bad about it, but we had people to teach, so teaching we did. :) We taught lessons at 9:00, 11:00, 1:00. 2:00, 3:00, 4:30, 5:30, and 7:00. It was crazy, and we were all exhausted when we got home that night. Thursday and Friday weren't as busy, but we still had a lot to do. We had to finish getting Henry and Joseph ready to be baptized on Saturday. They both had their interviews and passed with flying colors, although Henry gave us a bit of a scare, because he was in with Elder Hadley (the District Leader) for almost an hour. But he came out smiling and gave us a big thumbs up. :)

Saturday was really the big day for us. Joseph's baptism was at 5:00pm. It went great. His mom was excited and the spirit was definately there. Joseph is doing great at church and making tons of friends in his primary class. Henry's baptism was at 7:00. We didn't have time to leave and get dinner, so the Relief Society brought sandwiches and set up a table in the gym for anyone who was staying for both baptisms. I thought that was pretty cool. Henry made it and we took a ton of pictures with him in white, along with him and Brother McArthur, whom Henry asked to baptise him. If you don't remember, Brother McArthur was the Inactive that we were teaching and his wife is Napa. Brother McArthur is now active, and was ordained to be a Priest so he could baptize Napa. Napa and San (Henry's wife) are really close now, so Henry asked if Bro McArthur would perform the ordinance. Also, Brett Taylor, one of the Priests in the Young Men, was asked by the bishop to be in the font with Henry and Bro McArthur, to help Henry into and out of the font, and also into and out of the water. It was REALLY cool to see the three of them standing there in white. Henry asked me to give the talk on Baptism, and I have to admit... I was more nervous than I thought I would be. But gave it I did, and I guess it went well, because I had a lot of compliments afterwards. Then Henry and Bro McArthur and Brett all got in the water. We had previously filled the font a little higher than normal, So Henry wouldn't have to bend over so far to get fully immersed. They had Henry kneel down in the font, with Bro McArthur kneeling next to him, and Brett kneeling in front of Henry. Then Bro McArthur said the prayer. Then they paused for a second to let Henry plug his nose and then they bent him forward. It was not how they regularly do it, but he went all the way under. :) After they brought him back up, they said, "Are you ready?" meaning, are you ready to stand up, and Henry said, "You want me go again?" It was pretty funny. When he came out of the dressing room, in a white shirt and tie, he held his hands up in the air, like, "Yay! I did it!" and everyone laughed. He's such a nice guy. A wonderful addition to the Antelope 4th ward. I love him so much, and I'm so grateful that I was able to be a part of his conversion.

I think that's just about it for this last week. Hieu and Ava and Harold are all getting baptized on Saturday, and that will be really cool. We have half mission conference tomorrow, and Elder Mulm (I think that's how you spell it) for the 2nd quorum of the Sevent is coming. I've been asked to give a talk about the success that we're having... yikes... but otherwise, I'm looking forward to this week. We're all also looking forward to finding the next group of prepared people who are ready to hear the gospel and to make the changes in their lives that will help them be happier.

I just want to let you all know that I'm so happy to be here. This work is not easy, and it's hard to give up everything I have to be here, but it's totally worth it. It's the best thing I've ever done with my life. I wouldn't change what I'm doing for anything. And I know that the work that I'm doing here in the Roseville California Mission is meant for me to do. I know that the gospel is true, and that it changes lives. I know that with a perfect knowledge because I've seen it now. I've seen what it's done for me, and what it's done for the people I teach. I want to thank each and everyone of you who reads my letters for all the support and love that you give. Especially Mom, Dad, Jaymi, Stephen, Daniel, Cat, Kayti, and Cale. You're all the best. I love you tons.

Love, Sister Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment