Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sept 13, 2011

Dear everyone!

Our week here was pretty good. We taught quite a lot and that was nice. Although we are experiencing some difficulties with most of our current investigators in terms of them keeping their commitments. It's hard to figure out how to help them when they don't seem to want to help themselves. It's something that I've struggled with for my whole mission... But the awesome investigators make up for the harder ones every time. We picked up two new investigators this week, which was good. We met the first, Vicky, as a result of tracting... which we've been doing a lot of lately because I have a new missionary and we also had a mini missionary with us this last week. I wanted both of them to really experience tracting... so we did several hours of it this week. It was hard, and we only met Vicky... She invited us right in and we got to know her a bit. She struggles with some major health issues. So we taught her about the priesthood and then offered her a blessing. She readily accepted and we have a return appointment with her tomorrow afternoon with some of the guys from our ward to accompany us. :)

We also met Alicia. She's the girlfriend of a less active. Things will be slow moving with her, but I'm confident that we'll be able to help her overcome some of the negative experiences that she's had with the LDS church. Especially as we help her boyfriend, Jamie, get ready to attend the temple. It should be pretty cool.

That's pretty much it for the awesome missionary stories this week. We did have a pretty cool opportunity yesterday (the reason this email is 24 hours late) as we met for half mission tour. Elder Kearon, of the First Quorom of the Seventy, met with us for the entire day. He's a way nice guy. We all got in line at the start of the meeting to meet with him individually and shake hands for a second or two. When I got up to the front of the line, Elder Kearon shook my hand, and before I could say anything, he said, "Sister Reid, I hear you're an amazing trainer." ... ... ... Let me just say, that I was/am very flattered that he knows who I am... And also a little amazed and chagrined that President Weston even said anything about me to him. It was pretty cool. All through the meeting as we were being trained, Elder Kearon kept calling me by name, when he simply called everyone else, Sister, or Elder... It's weird that a General Authority knows my name...

It was a wonderful meeting, otherwise. I needed a bit of a boost in my motivation to serve and to be the best that I can. One elder asked Elder Kearon how he best grows closer to what the Lord wants him to be. Elder Kearon said that he's found that his greatest growth always comes as a result of a calling that he's not nearly qualified for. It made me think about my experiences as a missionary. I feel very confident as a missionary, but as a trainer, I've had to stretch and grow. And as a "professional trainer" I've had to stretch beyond anything I've ever been capable of. It's amazing how I was just feeling a few days ago about being a trainer agian... about how I don't want to do it anymore, and about how hard it is, and that I didn't feel like I was up to it. Then Elder Kearon says that the Lord calls us to positions that we can't possibly do by ourselves so that we can grow into what he wants. It was an eye opening epiphany for me... I am a trainer not because I'm good at it now, but because that's what the Lord wants me to become. It's just taken me four different greenies to get it down, while most missionaries can do it in one... hahahaha. Seriously, though. I know that I'm stretching here. Stretching farther than I ever would have wanted or asked for, but also into this person that the Lord has shaped. And I'm better for it. And I'll continue to be better.

Anyway. That's about it for today. Sorry it's short. I'll look forward to hearing from each of you next week. On monday. :)

Love, Sister Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment