Monday, October 22, 2007

Marshall the Hampster

I never imagined that pets could afford such comfort. When I was living in Logan I had some roomates who weren't that nice to me. And I worked a lot, so I didn't have much of a social life. I spent a significant amount of my free time alone. So I decided to get a goldfish. He was black and white spotted, and the ugliest fish in the tank at the store. I figured that meant he'd been in there a while and would live through the transfer from the store to my house. I named him Sampson. I know that it's stupid, since he was just a fish, but it was nice to have another "organism" hanging around. I didn't talk to him or anything. He was just there. He died after 4 days. I was REALLY dissapointed. I went through 4 more Sampsons before I decided to give up.

About a month ago, I decided to try agian, with something a little more hardy. So, I got a dwarf hamster. His name is Marshall. He's sandy brown, with a dark brown stripe all the way from his neck down to his little stubby tail. He's full grown at about 4 inches. And I don't think he likes me very much. He used to. He used to be excited to come out of his cage and run around in my hands, and eat food from my fingers... But then... the evil roomate entered the scene.

Did I mention that I have an evil roomate? Again? Well, I do. It's like Logan all over again. She moved in about two months ago, and life hasn't been the same since then. She's very particular about her lifestyle, and gets VERY rude whenever any of the rest of us cramp her style. She spends 75 minutes of prime time in the bathroom, with the door closed... it's okay, though, cuz none of us REALLY need to shower, or access our toothbrushes, or do our makeup, or anything like that, really. (Are you sensing the sarcasm? You should be.) And she has an attitude problem whenever any of us bring friends over. But I digress...

About three weeks ago, she was giving a tour of our house to one of her boyfriends (she has three, so far that I've met), and she took him into my room, ('cause I guess it's okay when she brings people over). Did I mention that I wasn't home? And she couldn't find the light switch in my room, so she's fumbling around in the dark, and knocks Marshall's cage and my mirror off the dresser. The mirror is fine, but I can't say the same for Marshall. He fell four feet to the floor, and I can only imagine everthing inside his cage landing on top of him. He's very scittish now, and doesn't like being touched, or held, or even picked up so I can clean his cage. And it bugs me that my evil roomate is infecting everything. I wish she would move out...

No comments:

Post a Comment